Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: The Jet Benny Show

  1. #1
    Brian Maier
    Guest Brian Maier's Avatar

    Post

    Roger,
    You directed The Jet Benny Show right? What is it about? I have been looking for any movies that were shot on super 8. Was it shot totally on super 8? Is there anywhere to get a new copy of it or are used copies on ebay or amazon the only places to find it?

    How's my workprinter comming along smile

    Brian

    ------------------
    Http://www.RedFuisonFilms.com

  2. #2
    Actor
    Guest Actor's Avatar

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
    Is there anywhere to get a new copy of it or are used copies on ebay or amazon the only places to find it?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I got my copy from Amazon and I think it is new. Looks like it. It was still in shrink wrap. It arrived on Feb 11.

    Why are a few seconds of the film animated?


    ------------------

  3. #3
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Actor:
    [QUOTE]
    Why are a few seconds of the film animated?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    It was a grand experiment that went unfinished. The people running to the space ship were supposed to be rim lit silhouettes. Unfortunately, the two girls that volunteered to backpaint the animation cels did them in reverse order. They were supposed to paint the black shadow areas first then paint the colors only in the rim lit areas. They painted the color areas first instead.

    Ultimately, I did an animation test with the intent of repainting the cels myself but that never happened. So the test is in the final cut. The birds that fly in front of the castle are animated as well. In fact, there's quite a bit of "Monty Python" type animation in the final just for fun.

    Roger

    ------------------
    Roger Evans
    MovieStuff
    http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/moviestuff.html

  4. #4
    Brian Maier
    Guest Brian Maier's Avatar

    Post

    Did you loose any quality when it ws blown up to 16mm? I just ordered mine off of amazon for $14.95 new i think, along with Ice From the Sun which was also shot on super 8 as far as i know. Looking forward to checking them both out.

    Brian

    ------------------
    Http://www.RedFuisonFilms.com

  5. #5
    eddie
    Guest eddie's Avatar

    Post

    Do you make any money from Jet Benny ?

    ------------------

  6. #6
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brian Maier:
    Did you loose any quality when it ws blown up to 16mm?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Well, yes and no. Interformat did the blow up and it was REALLY sharp. However, they made me change all the splices in the film from Ciro splices to Werker splices. That was a pain and, frankly, the Werker splices looked awful to me. Lots of jump on the cuts. Having an internegative allowed for better control over contrast during transfer. The sound track came out a bit rubbery, I guess from all the generations of Super8 mag to 16mm mag, etc. I really didn't mind that so much as we wanted the film to look cheap and had also purposely looped the audio a little off. In all, I guess the quality was okay. If only I had the DV8 back then! smile

    Roger

    ------------------
    Roger Evans
    MovieStuff
    http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/moviestuff.html

  7. #7
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eddie:
    Do you make any money from Jet Benny ?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    The film cost me about $6,000 to make and I made about $25,000 in royalities. Then the distributor and I had a disagreement and I pulled the film. Later I sold it to Phil at Super8 Sound and he used it for years as an example of features being shot on Super8. It was written up twice in American Cinematographer, along with some other people's s8 stuff.

    I currently don't make any royalities but I feel I've already made the lion's share of profit to be gained from it. I still own all the rights to the characters (like that matters) and could do another if I wanted but I don't wanna.

    Roger

    ------------------
    Roger Evans
    MovieStuff
    http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/moviestuff.html

  8. #8
    Steve Mick
    Guest Steve Mick's Avatar

    Post

    I'd love to see Jet Benny, but I think I'll wait for the special edition DVD with director's commentary.

    --Steve

    ------------------

  9. #9
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brian Maier:
    Roger,
    You directed The Jet Benny Show right? What is it about?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    87 minutes.

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brian Maier:

    I have been looking for any movies that were shot on super 8. Was it shot totally on super 8?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Yes. Tri-X for the opening and Kodachrome for the remainder. At the time of original distribution, we couldn't find any place to do Rank transfers of Super 8 so I paid something like $8000 or so to have it blown up to 16mm negative. Then that was Ranked to 1 inch video.

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brian Maier:

    Is there anywhere to get a new copy of it or are used copies on ebay or amazon the only places to find it?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    I really don't know. I sold the distribution rights long ago. I think Artistic Liscense currently offers it.

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brian Maier:

    How's my workprinter comming along smile
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Well, as I mentioned in a related post, I'm running a tad behind. After months of neglect by the film community, suddenly the flood gates opened January 1st and I've got just a ton of orders I'm slowly wading through. Normally, that would be welcome but I had contracted to edit a multipart television show so my time is kind of monopolized by my "real" job. Had I any idea that so many people would take a sudden interest in the WorkPrinter, I probably would have scheduled my time differently. However, based on the months previous to January, it seemed like a pretty safe bet that things would be slow. Hah! Boy was I wrong. Anyway, your order is in line for construction.

    Next! wink

    Oh, yeah, Jet Benny is about a Jack Benny type character that saves the future of mankind with the help of his black android co-pilot Rochester. Silly stuff, really....

    Roger

    ------------------
    Roger Evans
    MovieStuff
    http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/moviestuff.html

  10. #10
    Actor
    Guest Actor's Avatar

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
    I'd love to see Jet Benny, but I think I'll wait for the special edition DVD with director's commentary.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Let me know when that comes out.


    ------------------

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •